Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Instead of anger...inspiration

I wrote a few days ago that I feel that I am being picked on…I know now…I have been struggling in this job since the day I said yes! Recently I have been crying more and more and even wrote a few ‘resignation’ letters. Today as someone made yet another comment that was a low blow. I take pride in my work. I might not be the best administrator, or the best ‘on-top-of-everything’ person, but I LOVE supporting my friends on assignment. They appreciate the support. It is the ship’s people that upset my heart so much.

So I am choosing to focus on things that inspire me:

Here is a list of 10:

 

10) Funky business cards, letterheads, flyers…any printed matter.

9) People’s faces. There are some faces with so much ‘character’ (directly translated from my mother tongue) that I always feel the need to grab a pencil and start drawing.

8) Google images. It’s amazing! The other day I searched for some ‘autumn skies’ pictures and another world opened up. I recently came across an amazing blog and this has lead to my ‘daily art/doodle’ posts!

7) Music. Some songs just get into my bones and drive me to create new art pieces. My favourite one at the moment is one by Keane “The frog prince”. Others include any U2 song, Coldplay, Lifehouse, Just Jinjer (SA band – check them out…SO GOOD!) oh and do not forget Jesus Culture (another awesome band); Joe Niemand (Also SA) and Phil Whickham.

6) Books…mmmm…two words: Ted Dekker. Most of his books are so inspiring. I love the circle! Some Francine Rivers titles also make it onto the list.

5) Graffiti. Some say that this is defacing public property but they obviously do not know talent when they see it. (Sorry if you think it is not art). I have been intrigued by this art form since driving through Auckland NZ in 2008 and seeing some beautiful pieces around. Amazing…

4) Art Shops. There is something about new pencils, new brushes, fresh paint, blank canvasses, new sketchbooks and pens that just make me want to grab supplies and lock myself up in a place where I can paint to my heart’s content! I got a voucher for my birthday. I had to spend it at an art shop and literally spent an hour there looking through everything. I left the shop with masking fluid, fine liners, gouache paper and new brushes. J I have been painting almost every day this week!

3) Movies: Moulin Rouge, Gladiator, Step Up, Avatar, Ever After, A-team, Alice in Wonderland, The Proposal, Paparazzi, Pirates of the Caribbean…man any ABOVE THE BELT movie done in good taste. J

2) Other artworks…enough said.

1) God…this is not an attempt to be spiritual or anything. Have you seen the sunsets? Rainbows? Thunder and Lightning? New Zealand??????????????? South Africa???? The open seas???? Amazing? And I get to be creative in my little pieces, trying to capture a bit of this awesomeness.

 

(Posted via email. And the picture is just me having some fun)

No comments: